Athletics Return-to-Play Parent Memo October 30, 2020
- A friendly reminder that any information regarding Athletics may change as a result of Health and Safety Guidelines pertaining to COVID. We will provide regular updates outlining any changes as we receive new information.
Hello Southwest High School Students and Families,
We hope you are doing well and are staying healthy and safe.
Recently, coaches in our district were allowed to begin hosting virtual meetings and virtual conditioning sessions with students. Because we were still working out the logistics, our communication efforts consisted of coaches reaching out to former student-athletes and posting information on our ASB Instagram page.
This week, the district has approved a new phase in our Athletics Return-to-Play that includes on-campus conditioning sessions available as of November 5th. To allow our coaches the time to complete the district requirements and to allow us time to communicate with parents and interested students, we have scheduled on-campus conditioning sessions in those sports whose coaches would like to participate in this option to begin Monday, November 9th.
We will be hosting virtual meetings with coaches from our Season 1 Sports starting next week, November 2nd through November 6th. Information regarding the date and time for each virtual meeting will be sent to all families and students via Jupiter Grades.
Students interested in participating in any of our Season 1 Sports should attend the virtual meeting along with their parents for more information regarding the plan in place to begin on-campus athletic participation.
- November 2nd – 6th Season 1 Sport-Specific Virtual Meetings with Head Coach, interested students and their parents. Messages including the date and time for each Season 1 Sport Virtual Meeting will be sent via Jupiter Grades. All interested students are welcome to attend.
- November 2nd – 4th Season 1 Coaches District Trainings – mandatory for coaches
- November 5th Season 1 Sports – Phase I: Outside Season of Sport
Conditioning may begin Pursuant to CIF Rule 600.2. This is
optional for coaches. All SUHSD prerequisites MUST be met prior
to hosting on-campus conditioning sessions with student-athlete
- November 9th Season 1 Sports On-Campus Conditioning begins at SOH for those sports whose coaches have selected this option.
To Be Determined Season 1 Sports – Phase II, III: Sport-Specific Skills/Drills
- December 12th Season 1 Sports Official Start Date* (tryouts, practices, scrimmages, etc. *pending Health & Safety updates)
- Dec. 14th – 18th Season 1 Sport-Specific Parent Meetings with final team roster
Season 1 Sports
(December – March/April)
Season 2 Sports
(March – June)
|Girls Field Hockey||Girls Lacrosse|
|Girls and Boys Volleyball||Girls and Boys Swim and Dive|
|Girls and Boys Cross Country||Girls and Boys Track and Field|
|Girls and Boys Water Polo||Girls and Boys Wrestling|
|Co-Ed Football||Girls and Boys Basketball|
|Co-Ed Gymnastics||Girls and Boys Soccer|
|Co-Ed Roller Hockey||Softball and Baseball|
|Co-Ed Sideline Cheer||Co-Ed Tennis|
|Co-Ed Competitive Cheer|
Guidelines in Place for On-Site Conditioning Sessions:
- Coaches host virtual meetings for interested students
- Coaches submit student cohort rosters for check-in and daily attendance
- Coaches have current, valid Coaches Card, including all COVID related training
- Maximum 14 player cohort(s), 1-2 coaches ONLY
- Outdoor facility use ONLY – No indoor activities
- No locker room, weight room use
- Separate restroom for each sport/cohort
- Separate entry and exit gate for each sport/cohort
- Separate outdoor facility space assigned to each sport/cohort
- 6-ft physical distance between coaches and students at all times
- No use of equipment, balls
- Conditioning activities ONLY, no sport-specific drills
- Mask must be worn by coaches and all student-athletes
- ONLY masks that cover the nose and mouth entirely are allowed – no face shields, bandanas
- Students bring own water/water bottles – no drinking fountains
- Students bring own towels, gym bags – maintain 6 feet apart
- Students must report on time to check in. No late entry allowed.
- Students must exit the campus/be picked up immediately after their session
- No loitering on campus allowed
- No spectators allowed (parents/friends/siblings/assistant coaches)
- Health screening with temperature checks upon entry – all coaches and students
- Hand sanitizer and additional masks to replace possible wear and tear during conditioning available for each cohort
- COVID – Participation Waivers on file – all coaches and students
We appreciate the support and patience you have demonstrated as we waited to receive updates from the San Diego County, CIF Office, and SUHSD District Athletics Office regarding our district-wide Athletics Return-to-Play plan.
For more information or assistance, please email our Athletic Director, Jason Snyder @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Southwest High School Athletics
Athletic Director: Dr. Jason Snyder
Follow us on Twitter @SOH_Athletics
Requirements for Participation
Students participating on athletic teams must meet high academic, citizenship and attendance standards. Grades are checked each grading period (every six weeks) and require a 2.0 in scholarship and citizenship, passing at least four classes. This is in accordance with CIF standards.
The following sports are co-ed:
- Roller Hockey