ASB Update – Week Three
Hello SOH Staff,
Important Dates and Upcoming Events from our ASB Office:
Foreign Exchange Delegation: A special thank you to Mrs. Rodriguez for a successful visit. Our SOH students had an amazing experience with their buddies. Thank you to all of our staff for welcoming them into your
SOH Spirit Fridays: Thank you for wearing your SOH spirit shirts on Fridays!
Picture Days: Thank you to all of our amazing English/SPED/LC/LS teachers for helping us ensure that each student at SOH has a picture ID!!! We had a smooth process thanks to all of the help extended our way!!! Thank you!!!
Club/Class Advisor Make Up Meeting:
- Thank you to all of the club advisors who attended the informational meeting yesterday. I will be sending all documentation and the PPT to everyone after meeting with all advisors. We still have 30 clubs pending account
- We will be hosting a mandatory Club/Class Advisor MAKE UP meeting next Thursday, August 9th in room 1105. Please plan on attending to review critical information regarding hosting activities and I will run through the meeting twice to accommodate those teachers with a 7th The first meeting will begin at 2:35pm followed by the second meeting at 3:40pm.
- New club charters for the 2018-2019 school year will ONLY be available at the meeting as well as ICC meeting dates for fundraising approvals (this is new to SOH so please be sure to attend one of the two meeting times for more info). Advisors MUST attend the meeting to be eligible to activate their club accounts for this school. Please plan on attending this meeting if you plan to sell/fundraise at the first FOOD FAIRE on August 22nd. No fundraisers can begin UNTIL a club charter has been submitted.
Principal’s Student Forum: Thank you to those teachers who sent their students to the meeting with Dr. Salazar today. We had a great discussion on what students felt were the strengths and weaknesses of/at SOH. Students shared that they felt teachers truly cared about them here – WAY TO GO STAFF!!!
National Night Out: I have attached a flier with information regarding the annual National Night Out event taking place on Tuesday, August 7th. Please mark your calendars. All staff and students are invited. Students may earn up to 5 ½ hours of community service for their participation in the event. The NNO unity walk begins at 4:15 followed by a welcoming address and crime prevention community resource fair. Please encourage your student groups to attend to show their support toward decreasing/eliminating crime in our community. The event coordinator, Rodel, was bold in extending a friendly challenge to our SOH family…he informed me that we have been outnumbered by Montgomery High staff and students 3 to 1 in previous years…hmmm…what do we think? I say challenge accepted!!! Our Mariachi students and Dance/Co-Ed students will also be performing – come join us!
- Rodriguez and I will be at the park with our student groups and will have a SOH Student Sign-In Booth for our students to sign in for community service verification.
- Students participating solely in the “unity walk” can earn 2 hours of community
- Students/clubs wanting to volunteer with set up or at a booth can report to the park beginning at 2:30pm. Break down is 7:30-8pm. Entire shift (with walk included) can earn up to 5½ community service hours.
- Reminder: Please direct students to the SOH Student Sign- In table at the park for community service
Welcome Back Assembly: Our first assembly is our Welcome Back Spirit Assembly next Friday, August 10th.
First Spirit Week: Next week, Monday, August 6th through Friday, August 10th, kicks off our first Spirit Week:
- Shady Monday (sunglasses and hats, ),
- Tropical Tuesday (luau, tacky tourists, floral prints),
- Splash Wednesday* (pool gear – sunblock, floaties, beach towels, pool shorts), *message will be sent home re: dress guidelines
- Tie Dye Thursday, and
- School Spirit and/or Class Color War Friday (school gear/colors, face paint, etc.) – (Seniors = White, Juniors = Yellow, Sophomores = Red, Freshmen = Black)
Class Competition Lunchtime Activities: The ASB will be hosting daily lunchtime activities during our first Spirit Week in the quad at lunch for class points! We will be keeping track of points for each class throughout the year. The winner will receive a nice prize at the end of the year. Please encourage your students to come participate!!!
Class Advisors: Thank you to all of our Class Advisors for adopting our
- Rodriguez, Freshmen Class Advisor, Class of 2022!
- Spaeth and Mrs. Sigala, Sophomore Class Advisors, Class of 2021!
- Roncoroni, Junior Class Advisor, Class of 2020!
- Dolly Charles, Senior Class Advisor, Class of 2019!
First Home Football Game: Our first home football game is a scrimmage against Hoover High School scheduled for Friday, August 10th, at 7pm. Please help us in motivating and encouraging students to attend! Free entry for ALL!!! Let’s get a good crowd there to kick off a great season!!!
Fall Sports Staff Supervision: Fall Sports are here!!! Mr. Tapia came to the rescue and completed the supervision spreadsheet…saving me a long Friday night in the office – lol! I will be sending the link to the Google spreadsheet for staff sign ups on Monday. Please see my previous email re: sign-up procedures and timelines.
First ICC Meeting: Our first ICC meeting will take place on Tuesday, after school in room 1105. Any club interested in selling (three clubs per game).
Club and Food Faire: We will be hosting a Club and Food Faire on Wednesday, August 22nd at lunch in the quad. This is an opportunity to showcase your programs and fundraise at the same time! We will provide music to help attract a good crowd. Clubs are encouraged to host a decorative booth that can double as a sales and informational platform. We will begin sign-ups the week of August 13th. Clubs interested in selling at this event MUST be present at the first ICC meeting scheduled on August 14th.
Make-Up Picture Day: Students absent during picture days this week will be called out of class to take their picture on Tuesday, August 28th. More info to
Once again, thank you for all you do. Have a great weekend!
*please notify me if there are any errors or questions
Thank you, Patricia E. Pérez
Assistant Principal of Student Activities