Athletic Parent Memo 3/17/21 (PDF)
To our Southwest High School Families,
Athletics at Southwest is on!!! This season will be extremely different due to precautions surrounding the Covid-19 Pandemic. We are asking that all student-athletes and families please assist us in ensuring that all student-athletes at Southwest enjoy a safe and positive athletic experience this season.
Health and Safety. All student-athletes will be required to do the following each day they come to campus for a practice and/or game:
- Complete a Health Screening with temperature check
- Wear a mask covering both nose and mouth at ALL times – practices and games
- Come dressed ready for practice and games – still no locker room access at this time
- Bring their own water/water bottle to remain well-hydrated
While we know that our students are eager to return to play, we remind everyone that the health and safety of all participants remains our number one priority. Please help us attain this goal by answering all health screening questions truthfully. If anyone in your household is experiencing any symptoms that might be related to Covid-19, please stay home and please schedule a Covid-19 test. If a student-athlete tests positive, the entire team will quarantine at home for two weeks. Please report any Covid-19 related symptoms or exposure to the Head Coach and Athletic Director immediately.
Student-Athlete Entry and Exit. Please make sure that student-athletes arrive on-time to
campus for practice and games. Head Coaches will complete health screenings at their designated gates before moving to their designated practice/game day facilities. Student-
athletes that arrive late will not have an opportunity to be checked in after their coach has left the check-in gate. In addition, we ask that all student-athletes be picked up in a timely manner
after each practice and game.
Transportation. The district is still working on the possibility of offering transportation at some point in the next month or two. Currently, however, all student-athletes must find their own transportation to and from games. For the most part, Head Coaches are having players meet at the school site for away games to complete check-in procedures, including health screenings and temperature checks. Parents and coaches should not transport other student-athletes to and/or from games. If a parent or coach would like to assist with providing transportation for other players on the team, they must complete a Driver Information Packet with the school. Feel free to inform your Head Coach of your interest and he/she will guide you through next steps. You may also contact the Athletic Director directly.
Spectators. The district has approved the following conditions regarding spectators:
- Sites still need time to finalize their plans. We hope to be ready to welcome spectators
the week of March 22nd. We will work with Head Coaches to keep you posted.
- A minimum capacity of spectators has been approved for OUTDOOR sports only.
- For games scheduled to take place on the stadium field – soccer, football, track and field, lacrosse (pending) – 4 spectators will be allowed per participant. (athlete/cheerleader/coach). Children of any age count as one spectator. No other SOH students, alumni or members of the community are allowed at this time.
- For games scheduled to take place on the side grass fields and/or baseball and softball field, 2 spectators will be allowed per participant (athlete/cheerleader/coach). Please feel free to bring a lawn chair to help with social distancing. Children of any age count as one spectator. No other SOH students, alumni or members of the community are allowed at this time.
- ALL spectators must bring a signed COVID waiver form for each game they will attend and will be required to participate in a Health Screening and temperature check at entry. Waivers will be sent home and will be available on site at each game entry point.
- ALL spectators MUST wear a mask at all times. As a result, no food or drink will be allowed into the stadium and no concessions will be sold in an effort to ensure that all guests are able to keep their masks on at all times.
- In regard to Aquatics sports (Swim & Dive and Water Polo), City Regulations for pools differ and apply.
Thank you for your patience and support as we begin to reopen our athletics programs.
Please feel free to reach out to your Southwest Athletic Administrators should you have any
further questions and/or concerns.
Dr. Jason Snyder, Athletic Director
Patricia Pérez, Assistant Principal of Student Activities
Southwest High School
Home of the Raiders
1685 Hollister Street • San Diego, CA • 92154-4548
Tel: (619) 628-3600 • Fax: (619) 423-8253