ASB Update – Week Eight (September 10 – 14, 2018)
Hello SOH Staff,
Important Dates and Upcoming Events from our ASB Office:
Spirit Day Fridays: Thank you to ALL those staff members wearing our school colors and gear on Fridays!
Fall Sports Staff Supervision: WE STILL NEED YOU!!! Please continue to sign up for fall sports supervision needs. We appreciate your support. 2018 Fall Sports Teacher Supervision
Teachers, we appreciate your support in reporting to your assignments on time.
Next ICC Meeting, September 11th: Our next ICC meeting will take place on Tuesday, September 11th, after school in room 1105. Club Advisors can check the status of their club and all ICC-approved fundraisers via the following link: SOH Clubs and ICC Activity 2018 – 2019. At this meeting we will continue taking applications for Open House. Fundraisers approved for Open House at the last ICC meeting are included in the Google Doc form…please select items not on the list. We will also be approving any general club/program-related fundraisers you may need and selecting three clubs to sell at the Oct. 5th football game (only those clubs who have not sold at a previous football game will be approved). Please remember that all documentation must be submitted at the ICC meeting for approval: 1) Fundraiser/Activity Application, 2.) Meeting Minutes showing student approval, 3.) Student Sign-In Sheet, 4.) and Voluntary Participation Form.
Athletics Sports Factor: Come out and support our athletic programs this week…Sports Factor to follow.
Grade Level Assemblies: Thank you for your support. We will make every effort to follow up on the topics discussed with students via KSOH, our website and via emails and calls sent home.
SOH Raider Staff/Family Appreciation Night, Friday, Sept. 7th: Thank you to all those staff members who joined us this past Friday night! It was a FUN evening. Thank you Mr. DeVore for hosting the hotdogs and sodas for all of our SOH staff and their families.
Open House, Thursday, Sept. 13th: We will be hosting our Back to School Open House for families on Thursday, Sept. 13th. Calls and fliers have been sent home to families. Our agenda for the evening is listed below:
- Club Faire, Food Faire, and Community Resource Faire: 4:30pm – 5:25pm, lawn area in
front of the gymnasium
- Principal’s Welcome: 5:35pm in the gymnasium
- Student Performances: 5:45pm in the gymnasium
- Classroom Visits (Periods 1-7): 6:10pm – 7:50pm, 10 minute periods, 5 minute passing
- Teachers – It is highly encouraged that teachers have a plan in place for their meeting with parents. While it will be communicated to parents that this is not a venue to discuss individual student progress, we recommend that you have a PPT, Handout, Brochure highlighting those BIG, key ideas you want to share with families to keep the time moving along seamlessly from period to period.
- Parking – We also ask that all staff members park in the North lot on Thursday so that community resource faire representatives and families may park in the front and South parking lots.
Fall Sports Assembly Spirit Week, Monday, Sept. 17th – 21st: Theme: In It to Win It, Sports Mania!
- Monday: Athletic Wear (Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, Puma, Reebok, Jordan, etc.)
- Tuesday: “Crazy” or “Cool” Sports/Team Mom, Sports/Team Dad, Sports Fan
- Wednesday: Athletic Jersey Day, represent your favorite sport and/or player
- Thursday: Athlete vs. Mathlete
- Friday: School Colors, School Gear, SOH Student-Athlete uniform top
Unified Sports Flag Football Game vs. Bonita Vista High School, Wednesday, Sept. 19th: Our SOH Special Education Department and SUHSD Unified Sports Program will be hosting a flag football game on Sept. 19th at 10am. This is a great opportunity for our SPED students to work in partnership with student-athletes of all backgrounds. Several student leadership groups and student-athletes will be participating in the event in support of our team. More details to follow, esp. in regard to teachers who would like to bring their classes…still working out the details.
Fall Sports Spirit Assembly, Friday, Sept. 21st: A friendly reminder that we will be on an assembly schedule on Friday, Sept. 21st in celebration of our Fall Sports programs.
Homecoming King and Queen Candidate Nominations Timeline: Homecoming Season is here! The following timeline has been established for the selection of our 2018 Top 5 King and
Queen Homecoming Court Candidates:
Monday, September 10th – Tuesday, September 18th: Active Clubs/Programs nominate 1 King and 1 Queen candidate (must meet eligibility requirements to qualify – more to
follow) Club Advisors can check the status of their club via the following link: SOH Clubs and ICC Activity 2018 – 2019
- Wednesday, September 19th: Seniors vote for top 5 King and Queen candidates via Social Science classes
- Friday, September 21st: Top 5 King and Queen Candidates announced at the Fall Sports Spirit Assembly
- Wednesday, October 10th: Campaigning begins
Homecoming Week: Homecoming Week takes place from Monday, October 22nd through Friday, October 26th:
- Monday: Formal Assembly introducing our 5 Homecoming King and Queen Candidates
- Monday – Friday: Candidates participate in daily lunchtime activities in the quad, speeches air on KSOH, campaigning continues
- Wednesday and Thursday: Voting takes place
- Friday: Semiformal Spirit Assembly, Candidates reintroduced
- Homecoming Dance, October 27th, 2018!!! Thank you for your patience…there has been a whirlwind of things to get done these first weeks of school. As promised, a few ASB students
and I went out this Saturday and secured our venue for our Homecoming Dance! We will be hosting our Homecoming Dance on Saturday, October 27th, from 7pm – 11pm, in the Seaside Ballroom at Marina Village. The room is beautiful! The dance floor overlooks the marina and the room offers an outside deck and upstairs balcony lounge area for students. Announcements and ticket sales begin this Monday! Please help us encourage students to attend. Tickets are $45/person before Fall Break and $50/person coming back from Fall Break.
Once again, thank you for all you do! Have a great week!
*please notify me if there are any errors or questions
Patricia E. Pérez
Assistant Principal of Student Activities